Blog Catalog

Friday, April 3, 2009

Hopefully Mrs. Obama will come to Kansas City with this message

It seems First Lady Michelle Obama is a big hit with the Queen of England, the British people and their tabloid newspapers.

Good for her.

Good for us.

And while it's just dandy that Mrs. Obama and the Queen were apparently so struck by each other that they showed outward signs of affection (read: hugged each other?), what's better and more important is what she did later in the day:

"Mrs. Obama visited an all-girls school in North London on Thursday afternoon. She told the 240 girls about growing up on Chicago's South side, and urged them to think of education as 'cool.'"

"'I never cut class. I liked being smart. I liked getting A's,' she said. 'You have everything you need. Everything you need to succeed you already have right here.'"

That is precisely the message that American students--regardless of all color--need, frankly.

And that's what we need in the United States, frankly. Hopefully Mrs. Obama will bring that message of intelligence and studying and discipline back home with her. Children and adults, both, could apply this message. It would be nice to get over our dislike or suspicion of intelligence and the "intelligentsia".

Stupid, for the last 8 years of George W. Bush got us nowhere good.

I hope Mrs. Obama brings that message back home to the United States for the next 4 (or, here's hoping, 8) years.

I hope she brings it here, to the Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas area, too. It would serve her country well.

Link to original story here:
http://enews.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20090402/49d44650_3426_1335020090402-1940165394

2 comments:

Blue Girl said...

I have scads of pictures from the Street Rally at 18th and Vine last fall. Come by my place and drop me an email and I will send them along. Or alternatively, meet me at the Panera at Crown Center with your flash drive and we can just copy them over from my laptop!

BG - Midtown Proud!!!

Mo Rage said...

Thanks for the note, BG.

My point is, I think Mrs. Obama's message is a terrific one for kids of all ages. I know she was here--I just think it would be great if she'd bring this same message back to us here in the States, in general, but KC specifically.

Stay in touch.