Blog Catalog

Saturday, July 31, 2010

KCMO on good list for young adults

Surprise, campers! Kansas City made it on a current list of "10 Great Cities for Young Adults" just now. Top honors--no surprise--goes to Austin, Texas (man, I love that city) and good old KC comes in at a pretty solid no. 5. Nice. Their take: It may not have the big-city buzz of a Chicago or Houston, but KCMO is on its way up. The "Paris of the Plains" is in the midst of a $9 billion downtown development project, which will create a swath of new condos, apartments, offices, bars and restaurants- many of them targeted to young professionals. Unemployment and cost of living are low here as well, and job prospects are promising. Six Fortune 1000 companies call Kansas City home. PROS: Below-average rents, low cost of living, money and momentum behind future development, innovative jobs in business, research and technology. The average commute is only 21 minutes. CONS: Mediocre nightlife and limited cultural offerings (at least until the downtown development is finished), high crime rate, poor public transportation (though a light rail is under construction). Wait. "A light rail is under construction? Where did they get that? And the "downtown development" is pretty much done, really, we'd have to say. Someone needs to do a bit more homework, for sure. Anyway, it was good to read. For someone who lives on the Plaza and can take in a lot of what the city has to offer--though I don't get around to that much--I have to agree. I think a bunch of people (think Tony at TKC, etc.) will have plenty to say about this list, our ranking and what they wrote about us. Have a great weekend, y'all. Link to original post: http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/10-great-cities-for-young-adults.html

1 comment:

Radioman KC said...

Now if we could just get a good radio station for us BOOMERS. I get very tired of only 'bright' songs on KCMO FM...

How many times a day do they play "Dancin in the Moonlight"?

I used to bitch to them when they played Johnny Rivers five hits every damned day. Now they dont' play him at all because he's not BRIGHT enough.

Wish I had an FM license with some reach. I'd take Star102 and go head to head with the former OLDIES 95, and do a station for boomers, including the softer sounds from back in the day.

Even Donny and Marie once a week is better than their top 50 image songs they play every hour.

So much great music out there... the only way to hear it is by subscribing to XM and listen to XM6, but I'm retired now and I opted for more cable channels and canceled my XM/Serius this year.

Luckily I have most of it on my external hard drive... tho I wanted the new Time Warner Best of the 60s 10 cD set but didn't wanna spring $120 for it.

Tried to get it through the inter library system but they wouldn't send it to me.

Seems the CD's are too popular and there are too few of them bought by the library system.

I did land one fabulous 2 record set a couple years ago, PROTEST SONGS from the 60s. Even got "Eve of Destruction", which you may remember most all radio stations wouldn't play. But it was hot on college juke boxes for sure back in 66.

Sorry wasnt really on target but I love talking about boomer music. We boomers liked a lot more stuff than just early Elton John. And Copa cabana.

What girl doesn't love to hear "I write the songs"? and "Mandy".

but young male radio station programmers think their coworkers will call em fags if they put those, and the Carpenters in the playlist.


Sorry, but most of that era's music is better than EVERYTHING put out in the 80s! Again, wish I owned Star102. I'd make it number one in town! Just by going back a little further. My KIDS know that music too. Michele by the Beatles? If I Fell? great ballads.. but ballads are not trendy today.