Blog Catalog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Prairie Village: bigger Scrooges than even me

If anyone knows me, they know I'm not big on Christmas. If anyone thinks it's overblown and outrageously commercialized, it's yours truly. But besides the few, rare, wonderful "Christmas moments" or holiday moments, if you will, that can and still do occur, the one thing I'm always for is holiday lights. Okay, sure, call them Christmas lights if you want but that's one thing I think is terrific and fun and enjoyable. Coal-powered electric plants aside, I'm all for 'em. So along comes news of a bunch of spoil-sports out in Prairie Village that want to rain on a holiday lights parade, so to speak. This from KMBC 9 News today: Christmas Display Heats Up PV Neighborhood; Neighbors Meeting With Police To Discuss Traffic Congestion It seems the neighbors are complaining about one Mike Babick's Christmas lights display out at 7600 Falmouth (I always love saying Falmouth. Just because). Anyway, we've all been there, right? It's great. And sure, you have to wait through some traffic and go slow and it takes a while to get in and then get out. But what a gift it is. It's a rare, once a year gift. Mike's been doing this for MORE THAN FOUR DECADES. Get a clue, folks. It's not like the guy just moved to town and started making an unexpected nuisance of himself. Besides, he turns them off at about 10 pm each weekday evening. That's in the neighbor's favor. And on weekends he turns them off around midnight so that's accomodating, I think. I will say this, however--according to the article, Mike's a bit of a pickle in this way--Babick recently told the Johnson County Sun that he has even more animated figures for this year's display. "Once I get more complaints, it inspires me to do more for next year. It's a personal challenge, and I like a challenge," Babick told the newspaper. He's a little bit of a stinker in that respect. But hey--it's Christmas you old Scrooges. Lighten up. Link to original post: http://www.kmbc.com/news/25101612/detail.html

No comments: