Blog Catalog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Middle East peace?

I virtually always have two feelings or opinions about any mention of Middle East peace between the Israelis and Palestinians. My first thought is that I'm hopeful. My second is that I doubt the talk of the moment will come to anything. I got proof of the second thought this morning when I saw the following two headlines, apparently released almost simultaneously: 1) Clinton says Israel and Palestinians are serious about peace. And the frustrating, pessimistic, second one?: Israeli aircraft strike Gaza as leaders convene. It seems "Militants launched mortar shells into Israel and Israeli jets bombed targets in Gaza on Wednesday, just as Israeli and Palestinian leaders held peace talks in Jerusalem with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton." Nice. Right at the beginning of "peace talks." Mind you, there are bound to be people on both sides of the negotiations who don't want these peace talks to even go forward, let alone be fruitful, I recognize that, but it's just, as I said, frustrating that they'll go to these lengths, at the beginning of the talks, to spoil and short-circuit them. Hope for peace, y'all. Links to original stories: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100915/ap_on_re_mi_ea/mideast_talks

No comments: