Blog Catalog

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Wichita on Forbes' "Cleanest Cities"

Yeah, there you go---Wichita, Kansas on Forbes Magazines' ranking of either "America's Cleanest Cities" or "America's 10 Least Toxic Cities", depending what you're reading when you click on the links.  (That's odd, isn't it?  I mean, either it's "Cleanest Cities" or "Least Toxic" but they certainly shouldn't be interchangeable, you think?)    Herewith, their data:


Wichita, Kansas No. 10

Air quality rank: 1
Water quality rank: 41
Superfund rank: 22
Pounds of on-site toxic releases (2009): 1.6 million

I can't be sure but I think Kansas City, Missouri was going to be in this spot on the list but just as the researchers were leaving town, they went down to the Plaza for dinner and saw Brush Creek.

Links:  http://www.forbes.com/2011/03/08/least-toxic-cities-real-estate-forbeslife_slide_11.html
http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/americas-cleanest-cities-2011.html
http://www.forbes.com/2011/03/08/least-toxic-cities-real-estate-forbeslife.html

2 comments:

Radioman KC said...

heh. Well done with the Brush Creek line. Actually I spent a great deal of time in Wichita and since the 70s, that city has been very conscious about the environment; a forward looking, Earth Friendly city. That it took the prize doesn't surprise me at all. Neither than Kansas City didn't.

Mo Rage said...

Well, thanks RDM, for reading, noticing and the compliment.

I lived in ICT from '80 to '89 and must say, I enjoyed the city. I wouldn't want to go back (well, unless someone threw big money at me, which isn't going to happen) but, yeah, I liked it. The river through downtown, the people and friends I met and made. I remember it fondly. Good on them. They got some good press.