Blog Catalog

Monday, December 5, 2011

I'll keep my "dumb" phone, thanks

I've wanted an iPhone since I saw them. I love the design, I love the things it could do. Clearly, it started doing things no other phones could do. Very cool. But then lots of other new phones came out and the race was on. Sure. I get that. But now? I didn't yet get one, mostly because of the prices and largely because I just didn't need it. That and the fact that it seemed like every 20 minutes, another new one--iPhones--kept coming out. Well, now I see that they aren't just a phone any more. Now they're a small computer in your pocket. And that would be okay except between the text meassages people can and do send, and pictures, and the fact that it can--and does--get your emails and facebook messages and who knows what all AND the fact that the thing "goes off" every time it gets any of this stuff, well, I just don't need or want anything in my pocket that's doing that every 10 seconds or so. No thank you. Is it any wonder people in the world are getting more and more attention deficit disorder? First it was the television set, with all it's twenty thousand advertisements coming at you, all while you're watching only one show. Now this. The phone that is nearly constantly vibrating in your pocket, telling you someone's sent you something or said something to you or--last of all--phoned you.

2 comments:

Average Jane said...

You know, you can turn all those notifications off. I have an iPhone and it doesn't make a peep unless I have a call or a text.

Mo Rage said...

Actually I assumed that and I'm sure it's true at least for some phones but this friend of mine just got a new one. He said when he puts it on "silent", it's silent all right but it still vibrates and that there's no other way to set it. That's why I said what I did.

That said, I still would like and want the option of completely shutting off the phone ring, too, sometimes, along with the texting.