Blog Catalog

Friday, December 2, 2011

A new low point in tastelessness

You want to see tasteless? You want to see tacky? Well, look no further, ladies and gentlemen--the "Justice Coin" is here:
I was watching TV a bit late last evening, waiting for Steve Buscemi to come on Jimmy Fallon's show (I will only watch him for a good guest--just saying) when I saw an ad for this thing. Wow. It stunned me. I'm telling you, there is absolutely no shame at all when it comes to making a buck, is there? To "celebrate" the killing of Osama bin Laden, these wunderkinds put together these "pure silver and 24-karat gold" coins enraved with "2 Navy Choppers and photo of 3 Navy Seals to signify the men behind the historical event." But wait! There's more: "There is also the American flag on the upper front side of Justice Coin and the phrase “You can run but you can’t hide” under it to remind every American that justice will always prevail."
I was stunned at the crudeness of the entire idea, let alone the execution it, in the TV ad. It was so disgustingly tacky, there weren't words. Oh, and naturally they said it would be a TERRIFIC Christmas gift--they showed a young man giving it to his wife, presumably--since they were both in pajamas and I'm sure they wouldn't want to suggest they were only dating and so, living together. I mean wow, is that one low-class, tasteless knockout or what? Yikes. Oh, and so you know, "If you call NOW, you get BOTH for only $19.95!" Pure silver and 24-karat gold my patootie. H.L. Mencken knew us well, didn't he, when he said "Never underestimate the bad taste of the American public." Someone should give these people an award for horrible taste. Links: https://www.justicecoin.com/?mid=1270966; http://www.jennyreviews.com/as-seen-on-tv/justice-coin/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honestly ya the commercial was tacky but honestly the coin is pretty cool especially if it's real.. and I'm sure it is

Mo Rage said...

Sure, any new gold coin is bound to be beautiful and make it "pretty cool", I suppose. My problem, in the tastelessness category has to do with making a profit out of the twin towers tragedy, more than anything.