Blog Catalog

Friday, June 22, 2012

On Oklahoma Joe's Barbecue

I'll be happy--very happy--when the newness of Oklahoma Joe's Barbecue is over.

I'd like to get back to more people liking more than one barbecue joint in town.

This week, they're being covered yet again. This time by The Pitch Magazine. (link below).

I mean, come on, Joe's is good, sure, but this whole trendy, citywide zeitgeist that they're the best right now is far too lemming-like, for me, anyway.

As I've said here before, I hate trends and trendiness, period, but I especially dislike food trends. They're the worst.

Can we not think and act as individuals?

Are we not capable of that? Of independent thought?

Between its newness and the fact that Anthony Bourdain likes them and put them on his TV show ("No Reservations") and a local food blogger came out and said they were "best" on Mr. Bourdain's same show, it makes it "their time." And it's cool, too. I love the idea that it's in a gas station. So sure, I get all that. Fine.

I'll just be glad when all the new wears off and the hoopla is over.

The only thing is, it will all be replaced with some other new, "next" trend.

And it will start all over again.

In the meantime, you can find me at Arthur Bryant's.

Link: http://www.pitch.com/kansascity/oklahoma-joes-jeff-stehney/Content?oid=2914103





No comments: