Blog Catalog

Friday, June 8, 2012

Senator McCaskill reportedly undecided on extension of the Bush tax cuts (for the wealthy)



This is disheartening.

I just saw this link on Facebook from the Think Progress site:

"Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill (D) and Florida Sen. Bill Nelson (D), both of whom are facing re-election fights this fall, refused to take a position on ending the cuts when asked Thursday, The Hill reports:

'If you want to do something in the spirit of compromise, you don’t start out by saying, ‘I refuse to do this’ or ‘I refuse to do that,’ ” said McCaskill. “\'It’s not my preference to extend tax cuts to multimillionaires — that’s not my preference — but I want to keep every option open in the spirit of compromise.'”


Compromise my ear.

She has to take this namby-pamby position becaus it's an election year and so many Missourians have gone Right Wing daffy.

The Right Wingers, Republicans and Tea Party members don't focus on compromise, now do they? Hell no they don't. They haven't in years. Every time Speaker of the House John Boehner wants to compromise, they slap him down.

Here we have deficits out the wazoo, the wealthy are just that, wealthy and we'd be asking them to take about a 4% tax increase, in order to bridge the gap. It would also be to help keep America strong, let's be clear. And the fact is, these tax cuts nearly exclusively for the wealthy should never have been passed in the first place. They're obscene. They're immoral. It puts much more of the welfare of the nation on the backs of the middle and lower classes who are just scraping by.

Then we have Democrats who can't stand up and say and do the right thing, what's best and right for the country, in at least two or three or more different ways.

This is disgusting.

We need statesmen (statespersons, I guess) in this nation and all we have, instead, is weak-spined people who have to shill the wealthy and corporations for "campaign contributions" so they can get elected and re-elected.

Pitiful.

Don't get me wrong, either. It's important--crucial, in fact--that Claire McCaskill be returned to the Senate so we don't get some other, additional wack-job Republican or, worse, Tea Party member in there. I just wish she could and would show some spine on this and all issues. I also wish my fellow, middle- and lower-class Missourians would vote in their own best, self-interests, too, and not for the Republican Party.

I wish Senator McCaskill--and all government representatives, of course--would remember and act on former President Harry Truman's words: "I shall continue to do what I think is right, whether anybody likes it or not."

We need more statespersons in our government.

And less campaign contributions. But that's another matter.

Here's hoping the right thing happens come November.

Side note to Sen. McCaskill: Do the right thing, Senator, and next time I'll use a far more flattering picture of you to go with the story. Just saying.

Link: http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/06/08/496546/democrats-refuse-bush-tax-cuts/

No comments: