Blog Catalog

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Missouri: Ranked one of the "Most Depressing States"


Wow.

Tough news, there, Missourians. Sorry to break it to you this otherwise beautiful morning but here goes.

The state of Missouri is ranked one of the "Most Depressing States" by Health.com.

The thing is, though, first they say we're one of the top most depressing states in the Union, of the 50 states, then, this is all they really have to say about us:

"Missouri isn’t at the bottom of the barrel in any one measure of mental health, but it gets very low marks in several areas, including the rate of serious psychological distress (13%)."

It seems cowardly or inconsistent orr non-committal or something.

Anyway, this is what they say it's based on:

"Using data from federal health agencies, Health.com has identified the 10 states with the highest rates of depression, psychological distress, and other indicators of poor mental health."

They also listed the states alphabetically and not by best to worst or vice versa so you don't really know who ranks where. That said, Mississippi and West Virginia are on the list so what's that tell you, with their poverty rates?

Just an educated guess.

Final note: Once again, several of these states on this list for negative note are Right Wing, "Conservative", Republican-leaning "red" states, it's worth mentioning.

How's that no-changey thing goin' for ya?

Links: http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20483493_7,00.html

7 comments:

Radioman KC said...

Given the crime, it would seem to me it should be either Colorado or Florida.

Mo Rage said...

Florida I can see, that I get.

Colorado, though? Personally, I just don't associate that but as I say, that's me.

Anonymous said...

MO, the interesting thing about your analysis is that the mental health community wants to pretend that depression is caused by a chemical imbalance & not any real world interface. They've been traveling down this road since about 1986. When I'm feeling cynical I think that they've simply been bought by the pharmaceutical companies.

Mo Rage said...

Whoa, Byron, just to be clear--I'm a layman in this whole psychology/phychiatrist/depression area, of course, and I don't do analysis. This is their baby, not my analysis.

I see what you're saying and I, too, agree that "Big Pharm" basically seems to want us all on one pill or another or more than one, if they get their way.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, MO. I was actually agreeing with you. I think that any reasonable person can see that poverty is depressing. As is being abused, losing a loved one, etc.

I've suffered from depression most of my life. Whenever I tried pills, they would work for a short time, but only that. I didn't find any relief until I found an old school psychotherapist who helped me put my childhood in perspective.

I haven't had a panic attack since I met my wife. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Mo Rage said...

Glad to hear you got a handle on it.

I didn't think you were diagreeing with me, I just thought you thought it was my analysis.

Email me on this, will you?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I sent you an email. Did you get it? Your address was hard to see: kebmebms.gmail.com?